A leadership program of YWCA Missoula, GUTS! is a unique, community-based leadership and empowerment program designed by and for young women, ages 9 to 18.
Action Group Facilitators lead weekly Action Groups made up of girls from Missoula’s elementary, middle and high schools. A GUTS! Action Group Facilitator must be a creative, caring, supportive, open-minded and dedicated woman, committed to creating a safe environment for girls to discuss real issues in their lives. The facilitator supports the girls in discovering their strengths, developing their leadership skills, and using their voices to activate positive community change. Plus, she must have a great sense of humor and be willing to have tons of fun!
A facilitator must also:
- Make a commitment to volunteer for at least an entire semester (February-May) and preferably an entire year.
- Participate in two, three-hour Action Group Facilitator trainings at the YWCA.
- Attend each scheduled weekly Action Group.
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings.
- Be on time to all scheduled groups, meetings, and community adventures.
- Come well prepared with activities, points of discussion, materials, etc.
- Create a supportive, respectful, open, comfortable, and fun learning environment.
- Keep in good communication with co-facilitator, GUTS! staff, and School/Flagship coordinator.
- Keep a time card of volunteer hours and a brief description of main events, challenges, and successes of each group.
- Fill out all evaluation forms provided and return to GUTS! staff by the end of each semester’s Action Group.
Additional desired qualifications:
- Experience working with youth.
- Knowledge of and interest in women’s and/or environmental issues.
- Experience facilitating groups.
- Outdoor skills (canoeing, skiing, rock-climbing, gardening, plant identification, etc.).
- Indoor skills (art, music, dance, bike maintenance, graphic design, etc.).
GUTS! Orientation dates: Thursday, September 6th, 4:30-6pm OR Monday, September 10th, 11:30-1pm
AND GUTS! training: Wednesday, September 12th @ 5:30-8:30
* Orientation and training will take place at YWCA Missoula. Both orientation and training are required. Make-up orientation/trainings can be arranged with prior notice.*
Applications can be dropped off, emailed, or faxed to:
YWCA Missoula, 1130 W. Broadway, [email protected]
phone: 406-543-6691 fax: 406-543-6777